Since 2013, the Government has provided substantial primary school sport funding. This funding was being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and will see money going directly to primary school Headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- new or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- buying necessary equipment to enhance PE and Sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs.